Monday, March 10, 2008

Xterra: a looong term goal

I was one of the many Saipan Xterra spectators last Saturday. Competitors came in different age and sizes, driven by different reasons. I was enthralled by these triathletes. Their willingness to finish and accomplish this grueling mission was remarkable. I was actually jealous. So I made a decision to complete, not compete, next year’s race. Although this decision may change as quickly as I have made it.
Mountain Biking. I’m positive that this would be my first downfall. Getting on a bike from a slope absolutely freaks me out. The one time Brad took me out on Brenda's MTB he spent an hour, not consecutively, trying to convince me to get back on the bike instead of walking with the bike. Downhill was fantastic! But it didn’t take long for me to realize that I could hit a speed bump, a road kill or maybe even a branch and fly off to never never land.
Another hindrance would be self-motivation. I lack that. Individual sports require self-motivated athletes, telling myself I have to do this for myself doesn’t always work. This is why I love soccer, it’s a team sport. Knowing that I could be a ‘gain’ to others is inspiration enough. While you might have seen me jogging at beach road alone, it has been a weekly ordeal. I draw strength from knowing how much soba I ate.
Lastly, a major deterrent, aside from all this negativity, is running or biking through boonies. As much as I love nature and the relief I gain from being around it. I easily scare. Whether it is a twig snap or a dog bark… I almost always think of the worst.

So what do you think, should I start training for next year?
Congratulations to Brad, Bev, Lewie, Kimi and the other triathletes you are truly an inspiration.
But if I die from training or entering the race, I blame all of you.

7 comments:

Shazam said...

Let's bike during spring break! I've been dying to hit the trails! You can do it one step at a time. Biking is THE BEST part!

Brad Ruszala said...

i totally agree! biking is a blast and the training is more of an adventure than anything. stick with it, hon. we'll have a blast.

Saipan Kat said...

Sounds like a great plan! I should really be more positive about this, it was absolutely fun watching all these triathletes just go fot it.

Bev said...

lol You won't die! You'll be awesome! Do it girl! You'll be happy that you did=) Let's ride some time.

Brad Ruszala said...

new bikes are due at romey's next month. we'll see if the fever wears off by then...

Saipan Kat said...

Learn how to dive or buy a used bike... agh... what a dilemma!

Brad Ruszala said...

see you in the pool!